My Newest Project - Check it out.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bee Vs. Praying Mantis

So Logan has been watching a praying mantis for the last couple days hang around one of our outdoor driveway lights. When he goes out to ride his bike he checks to see if it's still there. His fascination has grown ever since I caught one for him and put it in his bug holder. It has an attached magnifying glass. When you look through it, it looks like you've got a 500lbs. mantis on your hands, okay 750lbs. for a guy Logan's size.


Come to think of it, it's probably the same one that we caught. Anyway, as I looked I noticed that there was a honey bee buzzing the light. This caught my attention. Now from what I gather in the animal kingdom bees are NOT something to be messed with (believe me, growing up as a grandson to a huge bee keeper it was all fun and games until one shot like a bullet up your pant leg destined to teach you a lesson), but from what I've studied neither are praying mantis' either, probably more so. So I decided I'd hang around to see what was going to happen, I could tell that something was going to happen because of the way the praying mantis' head was locked on target to that bee. As it kept flying around, his head would spin around and watch it without flinching or missing a beat at all. Then all of a sudden Whamo! The Praying Mantis shot out and latched onto the bee mid-flight and started enjoying honey dipped shishkabobs.
(The end, good night kids try to have good dreams...he, he.)
Yummy







I'm just wondering, do you think that to the mantis the bee is like a honey flavored dessert?

0 Caring Friends left a message: